[Zlib-devel] zlib 1.2.7 released

Daniel Richard G. oss at teragram.com
Thu Sep 6 14:39:13 EDT 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012, Jan Nijtmans wrote:

> VS10 express is what I have, so I can try the lib command line with
> that. But I don't know if the resulting "zdll.lib" will work with VC6.

It almost certainly won't. The DLL will have references to the VS2010 C
runtime that can't be resolved by VC6.

> The reverse has more probability to work, so I would appreciate anyone
> still having VC6 to try it.

Why not build the DLL using a MinGW environment? MinGW has always targeted
good ol' MSVCRT.DLL, for licensing reasons.

> And if an undesired linkage with msvcrXX.dll is generated, that probably
> can be fixed with the option -nodefaultlib.

Won't work. You could force the linker to ignore MSVCR##.DLL and link
against MSVCRT.DLL, but then you're at the mercy of all the
implementation-dependent aspects of the C runtime not lining up (symbols
in macro expansions, publicly-exposed structs, newer compiler intrinsics,
etc.).

Building with VC6 or MinGW in the first place is really the only way to do
it.

--Daniel

--
Daniel Richard G. || danielg at teragram.com || Software Developer
Teragram Linguistic Technologies (a division of SAS)