[Zlib-devel] [0/4][RFC Introduction] Adler32 vectorization

Jan Seiffert kaffeemonster at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 3 16:11:58 EDT 2011

2011/4/3 Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org>:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Jan Seiffert wrote:
>>>
>>> you running a git tree somewhere ?
>>
>> No, i use bzr to manage that. And unfort. ATM no external hosting.
>>
>>>  i could throw the patchset into an unstable Gentoo ebuild and see if people complain ;).
>>
>> I am not that concerned for x86 and ppc. And every arch which does not
>> have a special impl.
>> But everything else...
>> I think that's not even OK for "Hard Masked", since it can screw
>> peoples system so badly, they can not even recover (because they can
>> not downgrade anymore).
>
> it's easy to make it run some sanity tests before allowing it to be
> merged.

Sure.

> plus, why wouldnt they be able to downgrade ?  zlib tarball
> is compressed with gzip, and gzip works without zlib.

Are you sure? Hmmm, OK. If all else fails, there is AFAIK also an bz2
compressed tarball ^^.

The only thing that worries me a little bit is that failures in
adler32 are reported as Z_DATA_ERROR, and how applications cope with
that and how it is reported to the user so they might know "ah, that
was the zlib update"...

> -mike

Greetings
Jan

--
The universe started in 1970.  Anyone claiming to be over 40 is
lying about their age.