[Zlib-devel] Latest configure script; minizip as a shared library

Jonathan Nieder jrnieder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 23:38:50 EDT 2010

Hi zlibbers (especially Gilles),

The minizip library in contrib/minizip is very useful; thank you for
it.

Various projects use it, mostly through embedded code copies:

 - GDAL[1]
 - libkml[2]
 - COLLADA DOM[3]
 - the Chromium browser[4]

It is nice to see this code shared and used.  The next step to
make distributors happier: I would like to see a method for building
minizip as a shared library similar to zlib’s usual configure script.
I would like to generalize from something like [6], just like zlib’s
Makefile is generalized from its Makefile.in.

Fedora already has minizip as a shared library, configured with
autoconf[5].

To that end, questions:

1. Is the latest version of the zlib configure script available
   somewhere?

   There has been a lot of development on list lately, and I do not
   want to waste time coding around assumptions that no longer hold.

2. Would anyone else like to help work on this?

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Jonathan

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/port
[2] http://code.google.com/p/libkml/source/browse/trunk/third_party/README